Social Work With African American Males
Health, Mental Health, and Social Policy
ISBN13: 9780195314366ISBN10: 0195314360 Hardcover, 360 pages
Apr 2010, Out of Stock
Retail Price to Students:$49.95 (06)
360 pages; 11 line-cuts and 33 tables; 6-1/8 x 9-1/4; ISBN13: 978-0-19-531436-6ISBN10: 0-19-531436-0
Examines the contemporary status of African American males from adolescence to adulthood.
Table of Contents1. From Shortys to Old Heads: Contemporary Social Trajectories of African American Males Across the Life Course, Waldo E. Johnson, Jr.
Part I. African American Males' Individual and Family Roles
2. Making Room for Daddy: The Unmarried Adolescent Father's Role in Pregnancy, Constance M. Dallas and Karen Kavanaugh
3. Intergenerational Support and Reciprocity Between Low-Income African American Fathers and Their Aging Mothers, Kevin M. Roy, Omari L. Dyson, and Ja-Nee Jackson
4. Life after PRWORA: The Involvement of African American Fathers With Welfare-Reliant Children and the Child Support Enforcement System, David J. Pate
5. Men Do Matter: The Socially Supportive Role of the African American "Uncle" in the Lives of Single-Female Headed Households and At-Risk African American Male Youth, Joseph B. Richardson, Jr.
6. Academic Achievement, Peer Influences, and Sexual Behaviors Among High School African American Adolescent Boys, Dexter R. Voisin and Torsten B. Neilands
Part II. Educational Issues Facing African American Males
7. Promising Practices: The Positive Effects of After-School Programs for African American Male Development and Educational Progress, Reginald Clark, Alexes Harris, Kimberly A. White-Smith, Walter R. Allen, and Barbara A. Ray
8. Academic Engagement of Black Male Student Athletes: Implications for Practice in Secondary and Postsecondary Schooling, Eddie Comeaux
Part III. Mental and Physical Health Statuses and Challenges to African American Male Development and Social Functioning
9. What are Depressed African American Adolescent Males Saying about Mental Health Services and Providers?, Michael A. Lindsey and Fatima Mirza
10. Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope: Stress, Coping, and Problem Behaviors Among Young African American Males, M. Daniel Bennett, Jr. and Finake Olugbala
11. Health and Young African American Men: An Inside View, Joseph E. Ravenell
12. Health and Health Care Service Use Among Middle-Class Black Men, Sherrill L. Sellers, Vence Bonham, Harold W. Neighbors, and Shuntay McCoy
13. At the Intersection of HIV/AIDS Disparities: Young African American Men who Have Sex With Men, Brian Mustanki, Amy Stauffer, and Robert Garofalo
14. Suicide Among African Americans: A Male's Burden, Sean Joe
Part IV. Life Chances: Violence and Incarceration Among African American Males
15. Cultural Interventions for Reducing Violence Among Young, African American Males, Lance Williams
16. Incarceration and Family Formation, Charles E. Lewis, Jr.
17. Understanding the Economic Costs of Incarceration for African American Males, Mark L. Joseph
Part V. Conclusion
18. The African American Male: The Social Policy Challenge of the 21st Century, Earl S. Johnson, III and Waldo E. Johnson, Jr.