Religions of the West Today
Retail Price to Students:$64.95 (04)
DescriptionIdeal for courses in Western religions, Religions of the West Today, Second Edition, covers the same material contained in the authors' longer textbook, World Religions Today, Fourth Edition.
Religions of the West Today, Second Edition, reveals the significance of religion in contemporary life. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, indigenous religions, and new religions are explored as dynamic, ongoing forces in the lives of individuals and in the collective experience of modern societies. This unique volume accomplishes two goals: it connects today's Western religions to their classical beliefs and practices and focuses on how these religions have responded to and been transformed by the modern world. The authors combine thorough coverage of the historical background of each religion with up-to-the-minute discussions of its current practices. This volume is enhanced by numerous pedagogical aids--text boxes, timelines, maps, discussion questions, a comprehensive glossary of key terms, and suggestions for further reading--and more than 100 photographs and illustrations.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
* Updates throughout that cover more aspects of the current international situation and developments in religious life around the world
* "Rituals and Rites" boxes examining rituals that have changed in practice or meaning over time
* "Gender Focus" boxes that highlight gender-specific customs within each faith
* A revised and updated Instructor's Manual and Test Bank on CD containing overviews, learning goals, and summaries for each chapter; lecture outlines; PowerPoint-based lecture slides; fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, and true/false test questions; sample essay/discussion questions; flash cards of key terms; and suggested reading, viewing, and links
* An updated Companion Website at www.oup.com/us/esposito featuring all of the material on the Instructor's Manual and additional resources for students
ALSO AVAILABLE TO SUIT YOUR COURSE NEEDS:
World Religions Today, Fourth Edition (978-0-19-975951-4)
Religions of Asia Today, Second Edition (978-0-19-975949-1)
About the Author(s)
John L. Esposito, University Professor of Religion and International Affairs, Professor of Islamic Studies, and Founding Director of the Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding, Georgetown University, Darrell J. Fasching, Professor of Religious Studies, University of South Florida, and Todd Lewis, Professor of World Religions, the College of the Holy Cross