Retail Price to Students:$64.95 (04)
DescriptionDoing Grammar is a practical and lively guide to discovering how the English language works. Author Max Morenberg uses modern linguistic theories to build upon traditional frameworks and provide accessible explanations about the composition of sentences, illustrating them at every step with diagrams and other visual models.
In this fourth edition, Doing Grammar retains its unique voice, clarity, and organization, but also demonstrates the author's commitment to a renewed and streamlined focus on the critical skills necessary for writing effective sentences. Featuring updated examples, Morenberg once again makes a seemingly dry subject come alive.
New to this Edition
* A streamlined approach maintains the straightforward, easy-to-read narrative while also focusing on key skills
* A glossary of terms and expanded table of contents for easy reference
* A new printed Instructor's Resource Manual-free to adopters. Prepared by Charles MacQuarrie at California State University, Bakersfield, it features an Answer Key to those in-text exercises not answered at the back of the book, additional activities and test questions, teaching tips, sample syllabi, and a guide to developing syllabi
* Innovative tree diagrams explicate the process of grammatical analysis and guide students through taking apart, labeling, and understanding the various elements of sentences
* Engaging real-world examples and anecdotes illustrate the important elements of clear writing
* Extremely effective exercises provide practice in chapter concepts
* An Answer Key at the back of the book offers students answers to selected exercises
Invaluable for students in undergraduate grammar courses, this compact guide is also essential for all readers seeking to discover how the English language works.
- Innovative tree diagrams explicate the process of grammatical analysis and guide students through taking apart, labeling, and understanding the various elements of sentences
- The Fourth Edition maintains its straightforward, easy-to-read narrative, and the author has streamlined where possible to focus on the key skills
- For ease of reference, the Fourth Edition now contains a glossary and expanded table of contents
- Examples have been updated throughout
- A new printed instructor's manual, free to adopters, features an answer key to those in-text exercises not answered at the back of the book, additional activities and test questions, teaching tips, sample syllabi, and a guide to developing syllabi
"The level of detailed understanding even a beginning student can reach in fifteen weeks with this text is remarkable. I have taught hundreds of students using Doing Grammar, and they consistently remark how much their confidence as writers and readers has improved. It works."--Laura Halliday, Southern Illinois University
"This is the most complete and accessible English grammar text on the market. In it, Morenberg introduces students to the linguistic toolset they will need to analyze any English sentence effectively, and he does so in a clear, logical, and eminently readable fashion. The work's major strength is its student-centeredness. Morenberg is clearly a master teacher who is not only fully in command of this complex subject matter, but is also capable of relating it to the needs and comprehension level of the average undergraduate."--Edwin Eleazer, Francis Marion University
About the Author(s)
Max Morenberg is Professor Emeritus at Miami University, where he co-directed the Ohio Writing Project. He is the co-author of The Writer's Options: Lessons in Style and Arrangement, Eight Edition (2007) and The Writing Teacher as Researcher: Essays in the Theory and Practice of Class-Based Research (1990).