A global perspective
ISBN13: 9780199228867ISBN10: 0199228868 Paperback, 530 pages
Nov 2010, In Stock
Retail Price to Students:$64.95 (04)
530 pages; 2 halftone & 158 line illus.; 10.4 x 7.7; ISBN13: 978-0-19-922886-7ISBN10: 0-19-922886-8
Describes the chemical principles which underpin the natural processes occurring within and between the air, water, and soil
DescriptionChemical processes shape the world we live in; the air we breathe, the water we drink, the weather we experience. Environmental Chemistry: a global perspective describes those chemical principles which underpin the natural processes occurring within and between the air, water, and soil, and explores how human activities impact on these processes, giving rise to environmental issues of global concern.
Guiding us through the chemical composition of the three key environmental systems - the atmosphere, hydrosphere, and terrestrial environment - the authors explain the chemical processes which occur within and between each system. Focusing on general principles, we are introduced to the essential chemical concepts which allow better understanding of air, water, and soil and how they behave; careful explanations ensure that clarity is not sacrificed at the expense of thorough coverage of the underlying chemistry.
We then see how human activity continues to affect the chemical behaviour of these environmental systems, and what the consequences of these natural processes being disturbed can be.
Environmental Chemistry: a global perspective takes chemistry out of the laboratory, and shows us its importance in the world around us. With illuminating examples from around the globe, its rich pedagogy, and broad, carefully structured coverage, this book is the perfect resource for any environmental chemistry student wishing to develop a thorough understanding of their subject.
-In-depth and rigorous discussion of the chemical principles of the most important environmental issues, illustrated throughout with ample example problems
-Clarity of the text is not sacrificed to achieve depth of coverage
-Frequent worked examples build students' confidence in the material being presented
Online Resource Centre
-Links to useful websites
-Solutions manual containing solutions to problems presented in the book
-Figures from the book, available to download
- Emphasis is on general principles, which are illuminated with global examples
- Chemistry is covered at just the right depth for students to develop a thorough understanding of natural processes
- Carefully structured explanations ensure students from a variety of backgrounds can master the important chemical concepts
- In-text questions and end-of-chapter problems encourage students to check their understanding, and apply what they have learned to new scenarios and issues
- Main points given throughout each chapter highlight the key concepts being presented
- Online Resource Centre features additional resources for lecturers to enhance the educational value of the text
- Greater emphasis placed environmental chemistry's relevance to environmental issues, such as climate change
- Step-by-step annotations of calculations provide students with increased mathematical support
- Increased coverage of environmental modelling and green chemistry
- New Literature Link feature encourages students to engage with primary literature and develop critical thinking and reading skills