Introduction to Bioinformatics
ISBN13: 9780199208043ISBN10: 0199208042 Paperback, 432 pages
May 2008, In Stock
Retail Price to Students:$64.95 (04)
432 pages; 78 figures; ISBN13: 978-0-19-920804-3ISBN10: 0-19-920804-2
Written specifically with the undergraduate biology student in mind, the third edition of An Introduction to Bioinformatics provides a brief, hands-on, inexpensive overview of bioinformatics from a distinctly biological perspective.
DescriptionAn Introduction to Bioinformatics introduces students to the immense power of bioinformatics as a set of scientific tools. The book explains how to access the data archives of genomes and proteins, and the kinds of questions these data and tools can answer, such as how to make inferences from data archives and how to make connections among them to derive useful and interesting predictions.
Blending factual content with many opportunities for active learning, An Introduction to Bioinformatics offers a truly reader-friendly way to get to grips with this subject, making it the ideal resource for anyone new to the field.
- Strikes a careful balance between biology and computer science, introducing those aspects of computer science which underpin the subject without demanding detailed prior knowledge.
- Contains numerous learning features, including exercises, problems, and WebLems.
- Retains the eloquent style and clarity of explanation for which the author is renowned.
- An Online Resource Centre includes figures from the book available to download to facilitate lecture preparation, as well as a variety of interactive resources, including web links, 3D structures, and data sets.
ew to this Edition
- New chapter on biological organization in space and reflects recent advances in genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics.
- New chapter on scientific publications and archives provides a state of the art inventory on sourcing scientific literature.
- Expanded coverage of structural bioinformatics.
- Enhanced Online Resource Centre, with new guided tours of key websites, and lab assignments to support the in-depth exploration of concepts and themes covered in the book.